Popular Posts

BUZZSPROUT EPISODES

Monday, June 5, 2017

Grammar Exercise - Past Simple or Present Perfect Tense

Image result for past tense
Past Simple or Present Perfect Tense Exercise
Both the simple past and the present perfect are used to talk about finished actions and situations. However, there is an important difference between them. The present perfect tense cannot be used with expressions referring to the past.
Can you use simple past and present perfect tenses correctly? Test your understanding with this grammar exercise.
1. I ................................ here when I was a child.
lived
have lived
2. I .................................. her since last year.
didn't see
haven't seen
3. She ................................... unhappy since she left school.
was
has been
4. 'Where is John?' 'He ........................ here ten minutes ago.'
was
has been
5. They ................................... the contract last week.
signed
have signed
6. She ............................... ill for a long time.
was
has been
7. Somebody ............................ their umbrella in the lobby.
left
has left
8. ................................ a ghost?
Did you ever see
Have you ever seen
9. I can't get into my house because I .................................. my keys.
lost
have lost
10. I .................................. six letters since morning.
wrote
have written
11. Sophia .................................... absent since Monday.
was
has been
12. You can't see him now because he ............................. home.
went
has gone
Answers
1. I lived here when I was a child.
2. I haven’t seen her since last year.
3. She has been unhappy since she left school.
4. ‘Where is John?’ ‘He was here ten minutes ago.’
5. They signed the contract last week.
6. She has been ill for a long time.
7. Somebody has left their umbrella in the lobby.
8. Have you ever seen a ghost?
9. I can’t get into my house because I have lost my keys.
10. I have written six letters since morning.
11. Sophia has been absent since Monday.
12. You can’t see him now because he has gone home.


No comments:

Post a Comment