Popular Posts

BUZZSPROUT EPISODES

Sunday, October 4, 2015

COMBINING SIMPLE SENTENCES INTO A SIMPLE SENTENCE


COMBINING TWO OR MORE SIMPLE SENTENCES INTO A SINGLE SIMPLE SENTENCE
 There are several ways to combine simple sentences. We will learn some of these techniques .
BY USING A PARTICIPLE
He yelled loudly. He demanded admission.
Yelling loudly, he demanded admission.
The constable ran fast. He caught the thief.
Running fast, the constable caught the thief.
They realized the futility of violence. They changed their policy.
Realizing the futility of violence, they changed their policy.
BY USING A NOUN OR PHRASE IN APPOSITION
This is my friend. Her name is Maria.
This is my friend, Maria.
BY USING A PREPOSITION WITH A NOUN OR GERUND
Her husband died. She heard the news. She died.
Upon hearing the news of her husband’s death, she died.
He failed many times. He did not lose hope.
In spite of many failures, he did not lose hope.
BY USING THE ABSOLUTE CONSTRUCTION
The police arrived. The mob dispersed.
The police having arrived, the mob dispersed.
The watch was expensive. I could not buy it.
The watch being expensive, I couldn’t buy it.
BY USING AN INFINITIVE
I have some duties. I must perform them.
I have some duties to perform.
She wanted to pass the test. She worked hard.
She worked hard to pass the test.
He wanted to find a job. He went to the city.
He went to the city to find a job.
She is very old. She cannot walk.
She is too old to walk.
The tea was hot. I could not drink it.
The tea was too hot for me to drink.


No comments:

Post a Comment